Thanks to the fund rose during the 2011 Green Campaign, Cœur de Forêt and the Quiksilver Foundation were able to renew their partnership in order to complete the Water Guardians project successfully. This project will benefit to the people of Anambe (Senegal) and to 9 other villages.
In 2011 the objective was clearly to strengthen the operation set up by Coeur de Forêt in order to reach the aim of a sustainable and virtuous economic model respecting people and nature. Here is a summary of the main actions that took place in 2011 and during the beginning of year 2012.
Creation of the Quiksilver Foundation forest:
- 8 000 fruit trees have been or will be planted in total. 3 500 trees have been planted in 2011; most of them were fruit trees (lemon tree, orange tree, mango tree, etc.)
- At the moment 10 000 trees are getting ready in the nursery and are cultivated by a local team. 20 000 are being produced in order to complete the 2012 planting season goal.
- Distillation and production of the two first essential oils (eucalyptus and wild mint)
- Purchase of an still in order to distillate essential oils
- Training of a 5 people team to essential oil distillation
- 4 people are now permanently employed at the “Coeur de Forêt Senegal” Center
- 2 tropical agroforestry training centers have been built
- 2 wells have been built for water supply
- Connection to running water network for the “Coeur de Forêt Senegal” Center
- Building of 8 African huts for the “Coeur de Forêt Senegal” team and launching of the economic activity
- 6 motor tricycles have been financed in order to open up the village and facilitate women work during goods transportation.
- Irrigation: Objective of irrigating 50ha in process
The beginning of year 2012 has been marked by the visit of our ambassadors Stéphanie Gilmore, Tom Frager and Alain Riou to the Anambe village. Therefore they were able to see by themselves the evolution of the project and to participate to some of the village activities. This journey was punctuated by a trip to Anambe local hospital and so our ambassadors decided to make their next project to be the rejuvenation of the hospital. In order to finance the project Tom Frager will compose a song and will be joined by other members of the Quiksilver team. The song will be released and sold online.
All benefits from the song will go to this project, which will strengthen the following Water Guardians action plan for year 2012:
- Development of orchards, veggie gardens and beginning of a rice production. This will be completed by the irrigation program on a 50ha surface.
- Building of the “Coeur de Forêt Senegal” laboratory to produce cosmetics
- Purchasing various machines to process forest products from the Quiksilver Foundation forest
- Launching of the transportation by purchasing 100 motor tricycles, training and employing drivers
- Creation of a botanical garden and a medicinal plant garden
- Supplying 10 villages with solar electricity
- Hiring of a medicinal plant expert